As a passenger, you need to be aware of what your legal rights are when involved in a car accident in Florida. Every year, approximately 60,000 passengers are injured as a result of a car accident. Furthermore, most of these victims do not pursue these rights after an accident and end up facing various challenges, such as settling medical bills.
You must understand and exercise your rights so that you can be able to prevent any financial challenges that comes with seeking medical treatment. Especially if the injuries sustained were caused by someone else. If someone else’s negligence caused the accident, then you need to consult an attorney who is specialized in personal injury cases.
Passengers Rights After Being Involved In A Car Accident In Miami
According to the civil law of Florida, drivers are required to compensate passengers for any injuries that they sustain, and also for any other damages. Below are the rights of a passenger after being involved in a car accident:
• The passenger has the right to record certain details after the accident. These details are; the cars registration number, driver’s license, addresses and names of other passengers. The passenger can forward the matter to the authorities if the driver refuses to submit or provide any of these details. The police will take on the matter and collect all the necessary details required for further investigation.
• A passenger has the right to seek medical attention after being involved in an accident. Start with seeking convenient transportation that can take the injured party to a medical facility. Moreover, it still advisable that you book an appointment with a health specialist even if you do not experience any physical pain. That is because some injuries cannot be detected immediately, but tend to worsen with time since a passenger might be suffering from internal injuries.
• Another legal right that a passenger has is to obtain an official copy of the authorities’ report related to the accident. It is your legal right as a passenger to request for these details if they are not forwarded to you by the investigating police officer.
• You also have the right to ignore any offers given by the insurance adjusters. Before you can negotiate with any insurance parties, it is advisable that you consult a personal injury lawyer.
• A passenger has the right to consult a lawyer who is specialized in personal injury cases. By contacting a car accident lawyer at Accident Injury Law Firm, you can have your case reviewed and discuss various legal options that are available to get fair compensation.
• It is also your right as a passenger to be compensated for other expenses, including medical bills.
• Many drivers in Florida usually have an insurance policy that covers passengers. In case of an accident, the passengers are covered in that policy and payment do not exceed the payment plan of the insurance cover. According to Florida law, insurance providers are required to offer (PIP) personal injure protection to all passengers who are involved in the accident. PIP also covers payment for lost wages, regardless of who is to blame for the accident.
• An injured passenger can file for a lawsuit against the party responsible for the accident if the party’s insurance provider does not offer fair compensation for damages and injuries sustained. That is why it is important that you hire a personal injury lawyer.
Reaching Out To Our Attorney Experienced In Car Accident Cases
Serious accidents are known to cause a lot of chaos and confusion; thus, as a passenger, you are required to contact a personal injury attorney at Beharry Law Firm. With the help of a legal representative, you can follow up on your claim even if you have been involved in a truck, motorcycle and car accident in Florida. Therefore, contact one of our attorneys today, for a free consultation and affordable legal services.