If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident as a passenger, it is important to understand your legal rights and options. In the US, nearly 60,000 passengers are hurt each year in car accidents. Many of these victims fail to seek out their rights and end up struggling with costly medical bills. Education about your legal rights after an accident is key to getting the best outcome.
As an inured passenger, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages that may result from the negligence of another driver. It's important to consult an experienced lawyer to pursue your personal injury case and take steps to protect your financial future.
Passengers Rights After Being Involved In A Car Accident In Miami
Florida's civil law grants passengers certain rights and protections. Passengers who have been injured due to the negligence of another driver are entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. It is important that passengers understand these rights and seek appropriate legal help to protect their interests. Below is a list of passengers rights following a car accident in Florida:
• Passengers have the right to collect certain pertinent information. This includes the car registration number, driver's license details, and addresses and names of other passengers present at the scene. If the driver refuses to submit this information, passengers should contact authorities who will be able to take on the investigation and gather the details necessary for further assessment.
• Passenger has the right to seek medical attention following an accident. Finding a way to transport them safely to a medical facility is essential, and even if they do not seem injured, they should still get checked out by a health specialist. Internal injuries may take time to surface, so it is important that these are caught early on before further damage can occur.
• Passengers have the legal right to a copy of the official report from the authorities regarding an incident or accident. If you do not receive these details from the investigating police officer, you can request for them.
• Passengers have the right to ignore any offers given by the insurance adjusters. Before you can negotiate with any insurance parties, it is advisable that you consult a personal injury lawyer.
• Passengers have the right to consult a lawyer who specializes in personal injury cases. By contacting a car accident lawyer at Beharry Law Firm, you can have your case reviewed and discuss various legal options that are available to get fair compensation.
• Passengers have the right to be compensated for other expenses, including medical bills.
Many drivers in Florida usually have an insurance policy that covers passengers. In case of an accident, the passengers are covered in that policy and payment do not exceed the policy limits of their insurance coverage. According to Florida law, insurance providers are required to offer (PIP) personal injury protection to all passengers who are involved in the accident. PIP also covers payment for lost wages, regardless of who is to blame for the accident.
An injured passenger can file for a lawsuit against the party responsible for the accident if the party’s insurance provider does not offer fair compensation for damages and injuries sustained. That is why it is important that you hire a personal injury lawyer.